Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What I've Learned from Playing Softball

Over the many years I've played this sport, I've learned many lessons.  These aren't just lessons about the game or how to improve, but they're more often than not lessons about life.  This probably happens in just about any sport, but I personally feel that this game is a great teacher, possibly greater than all the others.  This game has taught me two of the most important things I've learned so far in life:  work hard and never take anything for granted.

Even though this game seems to come easy for some people, you can't truly be good at it unless you put in the effort to make yourself better.  It's not enough to be a natural, you have to practice and practice and practice until you've given everything you have to it.  This is true with anything worth doing, especially school.  Until I got to college, I never had to study very much, just like I thought I didn't have to practice much at being a good softball player when I got to high school.  In both cases, I learned the hard way that I had to put in the extra time to excel.  That extra time has paid off, and I am so glad I learned that lesson from the game that I love.  I'm determined to no longer give less than my best to anything in life.

The most important thing I've taken from my many years of playing is that life is short and you can't take anything for granted.  You have to play every game like it's your last.  Because honestly, how do you know it isn't?  There's absolutely no guarantee that you'll wake up tomorrow and play again.  So we have to give every game, every practice, every moment on the field with our team all our heart and effort.  But this obviously doesn't just apply to the game.  We also have no way of knowing when our time on Earth is up, and for that reason, we can't waste a minute of it.  We have to play the game of life knowing it will come to an end and we don't know when that will be.  It's a scary thought, but it's one of the most motivating thoughts we'll ever experience.  And I learned it by playing softball.  

No comments:

Post a Comment